Case, Referentiality and Phrase Structure by Balkiz Öztürk
By Balkiz Öztürk
This ebook proposes that the 2 “independent” stipulations on argumenthood, particularly, case and referentiality, are strongly correlated and feature to be linked to one another in syntax as syntactic positive aspects. It exhibits that languages convey version within the manner this organization is applied of their syntax, which offers a proof for the variations saw of their word constitution by way of (non-)configurationality. therefore, this booklet not just provides an leading edge overarching concept for case and referentiality, but in addition goals to deliver a brand new examine the problems of (non-)configurationality. It in particular argues for parameterization of practical different types linked to case and referentiality, which has yes implications not just for the purchase but additionally for the diachronic improvement of useful different types. offering wealthy comparative facts from typologically diverse languages similar to Turkish, chinese language, Hungarian, English and eastern, this e-book is of specific curiosity to typologists in addition.
Read Online or Download Case, Referentiality and Phrase Structure PDF
Similar linguistics books
Bryson B. the mum tongue. . English and the way it acquired this manner (1990)(ISBN 0888078958)(600dpi)(T)(270s)_LEn_
Thank you for the brilliance, knowledge and humour of Boden, Epstein and Kenway. i'll purchase this package for all of my scholars, as they depart graduate tuition and enterprise into college existence all alone. The Academic's help equipment offers a digital help workforce for younger lecturers groping to discover their means within the speedily altering terrain of upper schooling.
During this activity-based textual content, Rebecca Hughes invitations the reader to ascertain the variations among spoken and written English. rather than proposing a bewildering array of 'facts' approximately sort in English, she encourages the reader to actively examine the diversities among those modes of communique by way of evaluating real speech styles with literary ones.
The United States and global conflict I, the 1st quantity within the new Routledge examine publications to American army experiences sequence, presents a concise, annotated advisor to the colossal quantity of assets on hand at the nice War. With over 2,000 entries chosen from a wide selection of guides, manuscript collections, databases, and on-line assets, this volume could be a useful learn instrument for college kids, students, and armed forces heritage buffs alike.
- Biblische Exegese und hebräische Lexikographie: Das „Hebräisch-deutsche Handwörterbuch“ von Wilhelm Gesenius als Spiegel und Quelle alttestamentlicher und hebräischer Forschung, 200 Jahre nach seiner ersten Auflage
- A Grammar of Tapiete (Tupi-Guarani)
- Lighthouse at the End of the World: The First English Translation of Verne's Original Manuscript (Bison Frontiers of Imagination)
- Versunkene Wortschätze: Wörter, die uns fehlen werden (German Edition)
Extra info for Case, Referentiality and Phrase Structure
Ali book quickly read d. Ali h zl h zl kitap okudu. ” 36 CASE, REFERENTIALITY AND PHRASE STRUCTURE Fourth, bare nouns cannot be postposed to the right of the verb, as seen in (47a). However, it is possible for case-marked nouns, as in (47b): (47) a. *Ali okudu kitap. Ali read book b. Ali okudu kitab- . ” Fifth, non-derived modifiers, which normally occur immediately preverbally (Taylan 1984), as seen in the contrast between (48a) and (48b), have to precede the bare noun. This implies that the verb and the noun form a unit and therefore, explains the difference in grammaticality between (48c) and (48d): (48) a.
This implies that there must be an overt functional element blocking the application of covert typeshifters in Turkish. This raises the question of whether case can be the morphological type-shifter in a determinerless language like Turkish. In other words, can case-assignment also be responsible for referentiality assignment in a language without determiners? e. case and referentiality assignment, such a line of thought is not totally unacceptable. In the following, we will argue for the type-shifter nature of case by focusing on the syntactic and semantic differences between case-marked and non-casemarked bare nouns in Turkish.
67) *I went to berry-picking to jam with. (Massam 2001:169) Massam (2001) argues that pseudo-incorporated nouns in Niuean are also of the modifying type. They fail to establish external discourse referentiality. She concludes that psuedo-incorporated nouns are non-referential and that they ensure an unbounded or non-delimited reading of the event (Tenny 1994), providing a habitual or frequentative interpretation. 4 Immediately Preverbal Bare Nouns as Pseudo-Incorporated NPs. 2 a Bakerian head incorporation analysis is not compatible with the Turkish data, as immediately preverbal bare nouns are not head categories but are phrasal.